Pages

Monday, June 8, 2009

Spinach Cutlets- i didn't think so either!

I didn’t think I would ever make this….but what the hell….life is full of surprises…
Due to some health reasons I have been advised to take in a lot of iron and instead of taking iron tablets I decided to eat healthy. That led me to Spinach. I have never eaten or liked spinach…I don’t know why and I always associated a bitter taste to it. Again I don’t know why. I think it was aplenty at home n’ every other day during the rains, one could be assured of finding a ‘cheera thoran’ (Spinach & Coconut dry dish) on the table.

Anyways, I didn’t want to make that and wanted to try Spinach Cutlets instead. Was pleasantly surprised with the results! I followed the basic meat cutlet recipe. Here goes

Ingredients:

Spinach: 250gms (cleaned and finely chopped)
Onion: 2nos (finely chopped)
Potato: 1no (boiled, peeled and mashed)
Egg: 1no. (separate the yolk)
Ginger: ½ inch piece (grated)
Chili: 2nos (finely chopped)
Bread Crumbs: (as required)
Semolina: 1-2 tsp (Optional) - (mix with bread crumbs)
Oil: 2-3 tbsp (for shallow frying)
Salt: to taste
Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Chili Powder: ½ tsp
Meat Masala: ½ tsp (not required while making meat cutlets)
Black Pepper: 2-3nos ground (Optional) - (avoid this if you don’t like spicy food)

Method:

Step 1: Heat a wok adding little oil and add the ginger, chili and onion to it.

Step 2: Once the onion is golden, add garam masala, chili powder, meat masala and salt. Stir it till the masala is cooked and looses its raw taste.

Step 3: Add the beaten egg yolk to this at this stage. Stir until the egg is cooked.

Step 4: Add the chopped spinach to the above mixture and cook till tender. 3-4mins should be enough. Ensure there is no moisture retained in the mixture. Add the ground pepper at this stage. Keep it aside to cool down.

Step 5: Add mashed potato to this mixture and shape it into cutlets. You can refrigerate the cutlets for 20-30mins for the shape to set or use it right away.

Step 6: Coat the cutlets with beaten egg white and bread crumbs.

Step 7: Heat a non-stick pan, adding oil for frying and place 4-5 cutlets and shallow fry on both sides till brown. Serve hot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails