Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Kerala Mango Pickle or Curry/ Kadumanga Achar


Photobucket

Photobucket


This is my third post on Mangoes this month, I had gotten distracted with my baking mission n' couldn't complete the hattrick as planned. :) This pickle, even though it comes under the category of a pickle is often mistaken n' eaten as a Mango Curry. Kanji, the most popular comfort food of a Malayali, is most often accompanied by this pickle. I love it so much, this is one of the first things I wanted to make the moment I got a kitchen to myself. The only thing is, I love eating it even without anything with it. I can just eat this in a bowl n' be happy about it. I have consciously stopped doing this, but the inane desire is to do just that, the moment I see this pickle is still there.

I can eat pickle with anything n' everything, that's how much I love it. But other than this, I don't make any other pickle at home. The white lime pickle, the no oil red lime pickle, the black gooseberry pickle, the mango with mustard seeds pickle etc that we keep a stock of at home are all supplied by my mom. This pickle has less shelf life than the other pickles. The recipe? Here you go. :)


Photobucket


Ingredients:

1. Raw Mango: 2nos medium (chopped or rather cubed into really small pieces)
2. Chilly powder : 2 tbsp (or as per taste)
3. Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
4. Salt : As reqd
5. Gingelly oil : 5tbsp (best for pickles)
6. Fenugreek(Uluva) powder : 1 tsp
7. Asafoetida(Kaayam) powder : 1/2 tsp
8. Vinegar : 3tbsp ( or more depending on the taste)
9. Curry leaves : 1 bunch
10. Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
11. Dry Red Chili: 1-2nos

Method:

Step 1: Add salt to the mango piece n' keep it aside for atleast an hour or 2.

Step 2: In a kadai/wok, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies n' curry leave. Allow it to splutter.

Step 3: Remove the kadai from the stove and add the red chili powder, turmeric powder n' asafoetida powder. (You are doing it off the stove cause we need to take care not to burn the powders used.)

Step 4: Mix in the mangoes into the above mixture. Allow it to coat well. Add vinegar. Check the salt n' add more if required. Keep it aside overnight or at least for 4-5hrs to allow it to absorb the spices.

If you ask me, its best served with everything. ;) But traditionally, its served with Kanji or Rice n' Curry. Happy Cooking!!! :)


Photobucket

Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. Delicious looking pickle. All of us at home love mango pickle. This version is quite new to me and loving its look :) Will try it out asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickle looks so delicious and spicy :) loved the presentation... simply awesome..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time here ,lured ur space nd the pickle too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty pickle! I've never had raw mango...I bet the sour is just delightful in this application. Yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pickle looks absolutely delicious! One of my all time fav with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just looooved the recipe. I am bookmarking this and trying this ASAP :) Totally droolworthy stuffy n very well explained too!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow very tempting pickle,mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started drooling soon after I read the title :-) This is one of our fav pickles ever ! I love the presentation and that cute lil bowl of yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cut mango pickle is my anytime fav...looks super yumm

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...
    looks delicious and very tempting dear...
    lovely clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious and droolworthy pickle..loved the recipe..bookmarked...going to try it soon..thanks for sharing dear..happy cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I found your blog with your trail on mines, you have a wonderful space...

    Love the recipe and great job with the clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi
    Thanks for visiting my blog and giving lovely comment!
    Mango pickle looks tempting and mouthwatering! Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very similar to a Mangalorean pickle made of shredded mango - we call it the kosrache lonche and my grandma used to make the best! Ur post reminded me so much of that, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks delicious and mouthwatering. Excellent preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Slurp, tongue tickling pickle..Looks delicious and tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mango pickle has to be every Indian's favorite kind of pickle! My mom makes it a little different way but love your version! Gotta give it a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Raw Mango exactly the way you made it. Spicy . tangy .. absolutely mouth watering delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks great dear! I love achar - will try for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. authentic n delicious..mouthwatering clicks..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mouth-watering pickle! Our version is slightly different. Will try this next time..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used crunchy green apples instead and it turned out really well. Thanks a lot for the recipe! Anu

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails